Eyewitness Dwight Brumley: FBI questions answered, four years later
1. WHAT WAS THE SEQUENCE OF EVENTS?
The first thing was noticing what I thought was a private plane, it turned out to be a P-3, going under the US-Air Flight, and then, oh, I don't know maybe 20 to 30 seconds later, if even that long, a few moments later I noticed the flare-like object appearing to rise off of my right side looking down, probably underneath the wing, and then rising, peaking over, pitching over, and then the first explosion, and then, oh maybe I don't know, one to two seconds later, the small explosion became much larger explosion and started to elongate as it started heading downward. And then I followed it as long as I could and then the right wing cut off my field of view. So I never actually saw the explosion, you know, whatever the flames were a part of, I never actually saw them hit the water.
2. WHAT WAS THE TIMING OF EVENTS? HOW LONG DID THE MISSILE FLY, ETC.
Oh I'm guessing, seven to ten seconds.
3. WHAT COLOR WAS THE SMOKE TRAIL?
I didn't see a smoke trail. It was just a very, very bright point of light, you know when you see an emergency flare struck. It's pulsating, but there's a core of light that doesn't change, and then there's that, almost like a hal-, I don't want to say a halo, but the corona around it that you can detect that it's, you know, burning very, very brightly.
4. HOW LARGE WAS THE INITIAL PUFF OF SMOKE?
Looking at it from relative sizes, you're probably talking going from a dime size to a sliver dollar size [at arm's length]. It was easily probably three or four times as big as the initial [flare].
5. WAS ANY OBJECT VISIBLE IN ADDITION TO THE SMOKE? IF SO, WHAT WAS IT'S APPEARANCE? DID ANY OBJECT FALL AWAY FROM THE SMOKE TRAIL DURING THE INITIAL PORTION OF THE FLIGHT?
Before I saw the flare, I could see what appeared to be lights off in the distance, whether they were small ships or whether they were on land, I don't know where the see ended and the land began, but as far as when I was looking at the emergency flare and then the explosion, there was nothing that I remember seeing in that field of view.
6. WHAT DOES THE TERRAIN AROUND LAUNCH SIGHT LOOK LIKE? WERE SCORCH MARKS VISIBLE?
It appeared from the almost pitch blackness off the right side of the plane, and I don't know whether I saw the actual first light from the, if it was a missile, I don't know if I saw when it was launched or I had caught it...when it was already in flight, whatever it was, it was already in flight and then it cleared the wing blocking my field of view then I saw it.
7. WHAT DID IT SOUND LIKE?
I couldn't hear a thing. I was inside the airplane at what, 21,000 feet.
8. DID THE SMOKE TRAIL GO ALL THE WAY TO THE AIRCRAFT. IF NOT HOW FAR DID IT GO?
9. WAS THE SMOKE TRAIL CONSISTENT IN COLOR, DENSITY, THICKNESS?
10. HOW LIGHT WAS IT WHEN THE SMOKE TRAIL WAS OBSERVED?
11. WAS THERE A BRIGHT GLOW AT THE LEADING EDGE OF THE SMOKE TRAIL OR WAS SMOKE ONLY VISIBLE.
Yeah, a very, very narrowly focused point of light, if you want to call it a glow.
12. WAS THE SMOKE TRAIL STRAIGHT OR CURVED? IF CURVED, IN WHICH DIRECTION? TOWARDS THE AIRCRAFT FLIGHT PATH OR AWAY FROM THE AIRCRAFT FLIGHT PATH? DID IT INITIALLY FLY ALMOST HORIZONTAL AND THEN CLIMB TO THE AIRCRAFT, FLY STRAIGHT AT THE AIRCRAFT, OR INITIALLY FLY UP AND THEN LEVEL OFF?
It really didn't curve per-sey until it appeared to pitch over. It appeared to be maintaining a steady rate of climb, and then it appeared to be pitching over a little bit, you know it's like it got as high as it was going to get, started to pitch over and right at the apex or maybe just a hair after the apex was the initial explosion.
13. WHERE WAS THE SUN IN RELATION TO THE AIRCRAFT AND THE MISSILE LAUNCH POINT?
The sun had already set but it was off to the left side of the aircraft. There was just a hint of dusk off the left side of the aircraft, I remember that.
14. WHAT DID IT LOOK WHEN IT IMPACTED THE AIRCRAFT? SMALL, SINGLE BURST OF FIRE/SPARKS OR MULTIPLE BURSTS?
The initial explosion was a single explosion. It was like somebody had lit a fuse and then there was an initial explosion, and then, like I say, just a moment later, a couple moments later it became much, much larger.
15. WHAT DIRECTION DID IT APPROACH THE AIRCRAFT FROM.
It approached from the south, because I was headed NNE and I saw it off the right side of the aircraft and it appeared to be tracking parallel or perhaps slightly inboard of the US-Air Flight.
16. WHAT POINT OF THE AIRCRAFT APPEARED TO BE THE IMPACT POINT? DID IT APPEAR TO IMPACT THE ENGINE, LIGHTS, TAIL SECTION, ECT.?
I myself, never actually saw Flight 800. I mean, obviously, I saw it as it exploded, but I didn't realize what I was even looking at at that point. All I saw was just the ball of flames.
17. WHAT WAS THE ESTIMATED DISTANCE FROM THE LAUNCH POINT TO THE AIRCRAFT AT THE TIME OF IMPACT?
I would really have no idea. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess....I really couldn't say.
18. HOW FAR WAS THE WITNESS FROM THE LAUNCH POINT? WHAT WAS HIS RELATION TO THE AIRCRAFT AND SMOKE TRAIL FLIGHT PATH?
I can't say.
19: You told me before they [FBI] never even asked you all these [questions]?
No, no, no, uh-uh....It wasn't until I talked to Commander Donaldson...it wasn't until he talked to me that I had anybody with any aviation expertise really sit down with me and really parse what I said and clarify and get me to, in my mind, go back through it, step-by-step.
Brumley: The fact that it [the flare like object] was overtaking, appeared to overtaking the US-Air flight, it really had to be moving. And also, something that really contradicts what the NTSB and FBI and whoever else is involved in trying to come up with what they think happened, or maybe they want to have happened is the fact that this definitely came from behind my...far to the right...if I was looking directly out the side of the plane, this thing was still behind my field of view and coming up and moving forward, so for them to try and keep everything focused on that center wing tank with nothing else involved....it just seems like they're really ignoring information that doesn't fit their theories, instead of gathering all the information, lay it out, and now what does this tell us...so they've got to get the witnesses to agree with what they say.
The trajectory described by Dwight Brumley has been plotted on a radar chart showing nearby aircrafts and one, unidentified ship.
Dwight Brumley's FBI interview summary (Witness #32) can be viewed here, where the questions above appear with no answers.